The first sports center, named “Il Polverini”, located on the banks of the Tiber River was blessed by His Eminence Basilio Cardinal Pompilj, Vicar of Rome, in May 1927.
The center was built on government-owned land by means of a special agreement, as the charitable work of the Knights of Columbus was already well known to the Italian Government.
In 1934 the Tiber River Playground was relocated to its current site, downstream of the Duca D’Aosta bridge, where it became very popular for its swimming and rowing facilities. It was dedicated and blessed by His Eminence Eugene Cardinal Pacelli, Vatican Secretary of State, on May 27, 1934. Ten years later, the center was renamed “Pastor Angelicus,” in honor of Pope Pius XII.